Monday, June 26, 2017

Missing Kelley Armstrong ARC Book Review

30780237
BLURB
The only thing Winter Crane likes about Reeve’s End is that soon she’ll leave it. Like her best friend did. Like her sister did. Like most of the teens born in town have done. There’s nothing for them there but abandoned mines and empty futures. They’re better off taking a chance elsewhere.

The only thing Winter will miss is the woods. Her only refuge. At least it was. Until the day she found Lennon left for dead, bleeding in a tree.

But now Lennon is gone too. And he has Winter questioning what she once thought was true. What if nobody left at all? What if they’re all missing?

REVIEW
THREE OUT OF FIVE STARS
With strong characters, a deserving hero, and heroine--I'd want to give this five stars--but the points in which it failed--makes it impossible for me to do so.

What I liked:Again the strong characters, every character had their own believable story. I rooted for every character--well aside from the villains, obvs. But, every character was strong and solid. The 

The romance:While this was merely a backdrop to the story. It played out nicely and timely. Nothing was forced and it gave me something to look forward to.

The backstory: I liked the varied lifestyles that the characters shared. It made the story more interesting and not typical like you would imagine--a rich boy, and a poor girl story to be. Because, it was more than that. Nothing like a story with depth.

What I disliked: The story. Huh? I know. The story was pretty lackluster by itself. What I thought would be a heart-pounding mystery, was more like a flutter. I kept waiting, and wanting for more--but what I got, disappointed me. Without giving anything away--the reveal was not that impressive. Nothing about it was shocking, and I can't say I was all that surprised. If this was all this book had going for it, I would be completely disappointed--but the characters kept me and the story going.

While this is not the worst book ever, in terms of a mystery it was disappointing--but in story telling, writing, and character development, it wins. Choose what's most important to you--and this may be one of the better books you've read. I'd still recommend it, at least for the parts that work, but if you're looking for something to blow your socks off in the mystery department, this just won't cut it.


13 comments:

  1. Hello Jazmen,

    I hope this finds you well!

    I apologize for writing this inquiry here, but I had a difficult time finding your e-mail contact. My name is Anna Poulimas and I am the PR Coordinator for Beacon Publishing Group. I came across your blog and I would like the opportunity to share Michael Bray’s new book “Project Apex” with you for review consideration. For your convenience, please find the synopsis below. If you'd like to participate in a review, I would be happy to send you a PDF file of the book upon your request. The book is available now in Ebook, paperback, and audio book.

    Michael Bray is a bestselling horror / thriller author of several novels. Influenced from an early age by the suspense horror of authors such as Stephen King, Richard Laymon, Shaun Hutson, James Herbert & Brian Lumley, along with TV shows like Tales from the Crypt & The Twilight Zone, his work touches on the psychological side of horror, teasing the reader’s nerves and willing them to keep turning the pages. Several of his titles are currently being translated into multiple languages and with options for movie and Television adaptations under negotiation for others, he will look to continue his growth as a full time professional writer long into the future.

    For more information on Michael Bray please visit http://www.michaelbrayauthor.com/

    Synopsis: 
    When an unprecedented global scale attack plunges the world into chaos and threatens to eradicate the human race from existence, former scientist Richard Draven is tasked with finding a way to restore order. With governments in chaos and violence rampant in the streets, a grueling tale of survival and the strength of humanity in all corners of the globe is about to unfold as a man known only as Joshua strengthens his grip on a world close to ruin.

    Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to your response!

    Best regards,

    Anna Poulimas
    PR Coordinator
    Beacon Publishing Group
    (E)annapoulimas@beaconpublishinggroup.com
    (W)www.beaconaudiobooks.com
    (W)www.beaconpublishinggroup.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a fun read for me as well, not her best work but still pretty good. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely am intrigued enough to try her other stuff!

      Delete
  3. Even a lackluster book by Armstrong is one I want to read. I like her writing so much. Sorry this didn't totally work out for you but it looks like you got some entertainment out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh it stinks the story wasn't put to the rest of the parts of the story. Still sounds solid. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw such a bummer that the story itself wasn't that great. It definitely promises a good mystery from the blurb, sad it wasn't the case. However, I think I would also keep reading if the characters are great. That's what I typically focus on a story and at least they are worth meeting! Great review, Jazmen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read anything by Armstrong in a couple years. I read a YA trilogy that was good, if rather middle of the road, and then the first book in an adult series that I didn't like at all. I'm thinking maybe Armstrong's writing just isn't for me. It seems like this one had so much potential but the storytelling and mystery aspect never picked up and took off. At least the characters made up for that. Great review, Jazmen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear her other stuff is pretty great, so I'll be giving it a try! Thanks!

      Delete
  7. I didn't love this one either. It was fun sure, and the characters were interesting, but something was lacking. Have you read The Masked Truth by her? Now that's an AMAZING book!

    ReplyDelete